The Press Should Decline to Report on Private Lives of Politicians
Initially, one of the reasons why I chose this topic is because I realize that there is something related between media or press and the private lives of politicians. Politics can be an instrument of change or force of good, but I’m sure we all know that it is the press that exposed corruption and other negative things and behavior of politicians. The relation between these two things is very interesting to be talked about. And of course people will have many different arguments and we all will have hard times to decide what is best; Forbid the press to make report of private lives of the political figures because private lives is privacy or allow them to make report of it because you want to know how they live their life and you are curious if they do something bad.
As a citizen, I would rather choose the second one. I want to know what they do in their life and honestly I am very curious about corruption, collusion, or even nepotism they might do. In the last two years many crimes which were done by the political figures are revealed. I have to admit that the press does their job very well. And of course I really support the media that can reveal more ‘weird’ behavior of our politicians. Just like a few months ago. Well, we all know that a few months ago a porn video of one of our representatives in DPR were exposed by the press. How embarrassing! And as citizens, we all need transparency from the government. We want to know what they are doing in their life as the citizens’ representatives and what they are doing with the people’s money. And I think it is very cruel and disgusting when the politicians, as our representatives in this country, use our money in a wrong way. It is in Indonesia! Can’t they see that people are still starving and suffering? Do they use their mind? Or do they still have hearts? Any politicians or any people who work for the government should realize that many people depend their life on them. We, as the people of this great country, trust them as our representatives. We lay our hopes of a better place to live, food to be eaten or even getting better education on their hands. And I am proud of our press which is brave to reveal these crimes. The press has been very helpful for the citizens to know which political figures are good and which are not.
According to all those reasons, I’m very sure to say that I don’t agree with this topic that stated ‘The press should decline to report on private lives of politicians’. It is important to us to know the truth of what those politicians and other public figures do. For the politicians, be careful with everything you do because you should realize that as public figures you can be exposed by the press in any time, and think about your people and remember how they depend their life on you. And for the press, keep working hard to reveal more crimes and I am sure that many of the people of Indonesia agree with me and we are pleased to support you.
Written by Binar Sari Suryandari
XI IPS
Thank you so much for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment